03 December, 2007

And we're...back!

At some point or another, most people kind of slow down in their personal fixations and drift into motions which though not by themselves be devoid of thrills and enjoyment, just don't get committed into expressed actions.

And so it has been a year since this blog was updated. This does not mean that the pleasure of tasting wines has left my side. They are just uncommitted into written ruminations and tasting notes which used to decorate the past pages.

Have I been tasting new wines? Am I still fascinated by them? Have I incurred newfound wisdom in the journey? The answer is Yes, Yes, and Yes.

And so this posting marks a relaunching of an old habit, one that tends to grumble audibly about things which by general standards are frivolous but by personal one essential and important.

I have been privileged to be a part of many a good gathering featuring not merely great bottles, but also mind-boggling and personally touching ones. I will share them with you. (Thank God for the invention of paper and pen.)

Speaking of written notes, over time I realize I no longer write descriptors for taste, but rather gravitate toward texture, structure and impression of shape of wine in the mouth. It is not a conscious effort, by the way: it comes rather naturally. Is it useful? Well, I'm not sure I even care about that. I mean, it is definitely representative to me personally, though it may not be elucidative to others. But then again, my notes are personal documentation of impression, not a vehicle for instruction to others. We will see this in full effect once the postings come out.

I just came back from a very warm and memorable tasting. It's 2 AM. I think I will give myself a chance to shut down now. Zzzzzzzzzz...

No comments: